Monday, September 13, 2010

George Clooney's The UN-American

Do you ever watch a preview for a movie and think, "Well, I still don't know what it's about, but I'm sure that's what they were aiming for…"? That was my thought process for George Clooney’s The American. Never again will I think that way. I can honestly put this movie in my top 10 worst movies I’ve ever seen. And believe me, my list is pretty short because I typically have positive reactions to movies.

Here’s the premise: George Clooney is a weapons manufacturer who travels around Italy on a job and tries to find true love and evade an inevitable fate. I couldn’t help but think that he chose to direct/star in this movie because it’s in Italy where everyone knows he practically owns Lake Como. I spent the entire movie wondering when it was going to pick up. It had no background music which is awkward…like my first time watching The Office without a laugh track. Speaking of awkward, I saw it with my parents which isn’t abnormal. I’m at the age where I’m cool with being seen with them and all, but the movie provided some uncomfortable moments. First of all, my dad bounced 15 minutes into the movie to sneak into The Expendables (I’m not joking). That left my mom and me to “enjoy” an awkward sex scene between George and some prostitute, a classy one of course. Girl was topless and moaning the entire time. My mom and I started giggling and I’m pretty sure the rest of the theater was questioning their decision to see this movie.

To sum up, without spoilers, George Clooney falls in love, discovers he’s being set up and the movie shows a glimpse of what a thriller it could have been. Could. Have. Been. If this thing is nominated for an Oscar for directing or something like that, my jaw will literally drop. My advice to you: stick with Ocean’s Eleven, George Clooney.

Spend or Save? SAVE ya money

No comments:

Post a Comment