Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hawaii Five-Okay

I have always been a fan of the phrase “Book ‘em, Danno” ever since I saw them say it in Saved By The Bell: Wedding in Las Vegas. I never had ANY idea that it was a catchphrase made popular by the 80’s hit show, Hawaii Five-0. On Monday night, I tuned in to the premiere of the resurrection of Hawaii Five-O. The fate of a series remake can go one of two ways. Just looking at the CW alone (thanks for bringing it to my attention, Fasy) we have Melrose Place and 90210. Both hit shows in the 90’s that were brought back to life and, in the case of the new Melrose Place, put to rest yet again. What I see in the new Hawaii Five-O is potential. I can’t make any monumental comments about it just yet because the pilot episode simply sets up the season’s premise.

The plot? Detective Steve McGarrett (played by Alex O’Loughlin) is the Navy SEAL son of Detective McGarrett, of the original series, who takes it upon himself to find out who killed his father as demonstrated in the opening scene of the premiere. He enlists the help of Detective Danny “Danno” Williams (played by Scott Caan, a personal favorite) with whom he doesn’t initially see eye-to-eye with. The witty banter and occasional physical contact between these two makes for an entertaining relationship. They also look to add to their team ex-Detective Chin Ho Kelly (played by Daniel Dae Kim) and his cousin, young & beautiful Detective Kona Kalakaua (played by Grace Park). Their team, still searching for a fitting name (wonder what they’ll settle on) answers to Governor Pat Jameson (played by Jean Smart).

Like I said, it’s hard to tell about the fate of a television show until a few episodes in, but I will most likely be situated in front of the television Monday nights at 10 pm tuned in to Fox. I suggest you all do the same.

Episode Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment