Saturday, January 8, 2011

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (to end already)

Recently, my family and I rented this movie via RedBox on a lame Sunday night. It had promise, it had potential, it had Jake Gyllenhaal.
For a movie that cost almost $200 million to make, it did not deliver. The plot is such: a pauper from the streets (think Aladdin) is taken in by the royal Persian family as their third son. Fast forward until this hoodlum is somewhat adapted to the royal lifestyle and is helping the Persians conquer the world. He meets a Princess who holds a dagger that is more powerful than she leads on; it can turn back time to change a single moment for the beholder. The movie is essentially a cat-and-mouse chase for the possession of the dagger. It falls into the hands of a man who runs ostrich races, then back to Jake Gyllenhaal, then to the Princess, then to the sly and manipulative Persian uncle.

At times, I was reminded of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, especially when they arrived at the origin of the sands of the dagger. In fact, this movie reminded me of a lot of other movies (Gladiator, Alexander, etc.). If you’re going to put up that much money to make a supposed Blockbuster, you’d better have some clever idea of your own - including the cast which, for the most part, was pretty talented. However, Princess Tamina, played by newcomer Gemma Arterton, gained acting skills as the movie went on. Problem is, I don’t want to see someone learn how to act as. I. watch. the. movie. She should have started off on a Final Destination 6 movie or something and then moved on to the big films. To be fair, she wasn’t the only problem with this movie. I’m just picking on her because I can.

Spend or Save? Save... I think I made that pretty clear in my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment