Friday, January 21, 2011

The King's Speech (Was Really Good)

I didn’t have this movie on any type of wish list, by any means. It sounded kinda dumb. Well now, and I hate to say this next part because I don’t want to admit to doing something because everyone else does it but, it has been winning a bunch of awards. I like to see the movies that are nominated for awards because typically, the Academy knows what they’re doing. So to the movie theaters I went to see The King’s Speech starring Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter.

It delivered. Colin Firth plays King George VI who was known to have a serious stuttering problem. He has been quoted saying he practiced his stammer for three weeks so that the audience would feel his pain. Every “M-m-m-m” uttered had me at the edge of my seat, wanting to yell at him to spit it out! But that was the job of Geoffrey Rush who plays Dr. Lionel Logue. His unconventional speech therapy is promised to remedy all of the future King’s problems. When I say unconventional, I mean straight-up weird. Rolling like logs across the rug, relentlessly repeating rough tongue-twisters, and blasting classical music. The results of his methods were about to be witnessed by all of England in the climax of the movie, the King’s speech.


Helena Bonham Carter plays a loving and yet sly wife who wants the best for her husband. Though he had the toughest job in the film, Geoffrey Rush’s doctor role was so enjoyable to watch, especially his bickering with Colin Firth’s character. The Golden Globe win for Actor in a Drama was well-earned by Colin Firth. Up until this movie, the only person I associated with a speech impediment was the character “Stuttering Stanley” from The Sixth Sense. Thank you, Colin Firth, for giving me a new person to relate to the next time I find myself saying “T-t-t-today juniaaa”.

Spend or Save? Spend your money and see this good-natured, heart-warming, and potty-mouth ridden movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment