Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Centerstage 2: Turn It Down Please

While perusing the library before The Historical Snowstorm of 2011 I stumbled upon Centerstage 2: Turn It Up. I’m assuming you’ve never heard of it before because neither have I. Figured I’d give it a shot.
What a joke. Besides the fact that it was visually pleasing (due to amazing dance numbers and washboard abs), the movie was terrible. The little kid with the glasses and the big head in Jerry Maguire was better at acting than the two main characters of this movie. After watching the DVD extras, I found out that the Kate and Tommy were played by actual dancers with no previous acting experience so I cut them a little slack. But still.

You can't tell me he's not adorable. 
Also, he's apparently the new star of Footloose?
The title of the movie has nothing to do with the movie. Kind of like all the Bring It On movie sequels. It was really a Cinderella story of sorts: Kate, hailing from Detroit, comes to New York to be a part of the American Ballet Academy. After getting rejected, she has to slum it around the city, working as a dancer at a club. That’s where she meets Tommy from Bahhhston. Sexy accent, sexy abs, sucky acting skills. Well, she and Tommy play a nice little game of cat and mouse which kind of loses its realistic factor when neither of them can yell at each other seriously. And still, I powered through, determined to finish the movie (I can’t bring myself to call it a film, let’s be serious). The ending was predictable. Surprise surprise. Shoulda called it Centerstage 2: Cinderella Can’t Act, But She Can Dance.

Loyal fans of the original Centerstage: don’t be fooled by this camouflaged wannabe. Unless you’re in the mood for a ballet/hip-hop soap opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment