Sunday, October 3, 2010

Live From New York...

So I know I’ve told you all that I’m a huge fan of Saturday Night Live. But I’m going to tell you right now that when I came home from a night of attempting to be a college student again, followed by an equally impressive rally at a football game, followed by a night of babysitting, I couldn’t stay awake until 1 am. But I did watch a large portion of it which is what I’ll comment on.

At 11:30 pm, host Amy Poehler commenced the 36th season of popular variety show, Saturday Night Live. Poehler’s opening monologue was absolutely fitting for her triumphant return to Saturday Night Live, her first time as a host! Guest appearances -made by Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, and Justin Timberlake to name a few- flooded the stage as Poehler walked us through a crazy dream she had. Maya Rudolph returned to the NBC set for the sketch Brooklyn Beats where she and Poehler play two stereotypical Brooklyn mothers gossiping about anything and everything. Katy Perry, the musical guest for the evening, appeared in the skit in a shirt mocking her recent stint on Sesame Street. The singing starlet, known for her pop beats and perky boobs, wore a shirt with Elmo’s stretched out head on the front. Recently, Katy Perry’s Sesame Street segment was pulled from the air after outraged mothers complained about her cleavage. Though I’m sure she’s not sorry for it, she poked fun at herself, something all Saturday Night Live hosts and guests must be able to do, and got fits of laughter from the audience.

I think it’s fair to say that Elmo wasn’t tickled by Katy Perry’s musical performance to “California Girls”. It was evident that her much auto-tuned voice on the radio didn’t translate so well via the live performance. Her dance moves looked mechanical at best…think Britney Spears at the VMA’s right before her nervous breakdown. Perhaps she should stick with live acting?

The longest segment of the night and in my opinion, the best, was Weekend Update with Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler. The two have an on-screen chemistry that, while not romantic, is symbolic of their long-standing friendship. Their “Really?!” segment was laughable, but it was honestly seeing the two of them together again that made this portion of the show so enjoyable.

Aaaanddd, this is when I fell asleep. Sorry, guys. I highly suggest you watch the entire episode to familiarize yourself with great television. Here’s the episode below:



Episode Grade: B+ (from what I saw)

No comments:

Post a Comment